Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Don't Mind What Happens

I read something attributed to the master teacher Krishnamurti and it just rang some very nice bells for me, so I've decided to share it with you here.

When asked, "What is your secret?" Krishnamurti answered, "I don't mind what happens."

It is so simple, yet so much the practice of a lifetime, a practice of acceptance, of trusting, of being in unity with ALL-That-Is.

Lately, I pass through moments, hours, sometimes days, in which I do not mind what happens. It is not resignation. It is not indifference. I am profoundly interested in the world around me and in the greater world of this planet and all of humanity. It is acceptance and a strange inner knowing that all is well.

It doesn't really matter how it appears to be. Things may appear to be chaotic, exhausting, exhausted. Systems may appear to be morally and financially bankrupt; this is a fairly accurate assessment of many of our systems at this point. But that doesn't mean that all is not well. This is just exactly how it is for the highest good of all concerned, perhaps. Perhaps not. But I choose to trust in the dance which we have all been invited to attend.

I'll be devoting a whole post to death soon as well, because people say, "Yes, but people are dying!" As if that is a bad thing, a terrible thing, a tragedy which we must somehow endure. There are people who are dying. This is not a new condition in the world. Death is a doorway into a dimension of which we are as yet unaware. It is not an ending. It is as if we cried and keened and mourned when someone moved to Maine.

If we fear, we then experience fear. Personally speaking, I don't much like the sensation of fear. Unfortunately, in order to release the experience of fear, I have to allow it to be fully present in my consciousness. In order to free myself from fear, I have to welcome it in and listen to what it has to say to me. And that includes all forms of fear. It includes anxiety, worry, uncertainty, nervousness and sheer terror. It includes panic attacks as well. So when fear comes into us, for whatever reason, and we wish to be free of it, we have to be very brave and allow it to speak to us, to dwell within us, with no resistance on our part.

There's a wonderful story, a sort of urban myth, about a woman who lived in an isolated place and a man came to her house, a desperate criminal, escaped from the nearby penitentiary. He was cold, hungry, exhausted, fearful of recapture and desperately determined to get himself to freedom from pursuit. He came into her house, forcing his way through the door. She stood there staring at him. He was very menacing. He was large and his energy was fearful and desperate and violent, for he was determined to be free of recapture at any cost. She greeted him calmly, welcomed him to her home and offered him a place to sit and something to eat. She didn't ask him who he was or where he had come from. She didn't beg him not to hurt her. She didn't bargain with him - her forced hospitality for his forbearance in not attacking her. He ate and she prepared more food and waited quietly until he might speak. Haltingly, he told her his story, although never his name. She offered him more food and a quiet and comfortable place to sleep. He slept. She slept. He woke and talked longer with her, and they came to a sort of undefined understanding. He looked at her wonderingly, for he had not known anyone as free of fear as she seemed to be. After a good breakfast and her well wishes, for she wished no harm to anyone, regardless of his or her past, he left her home without having done any harm. She never saw him again.

I haven't told it as well as I have heard it told, but it might give you a sense of the ability of acceptance to shape our experience of the world.

Sometimes I truly don't mind what happens, for I accept ALL that is completely, and in those moments, I am free and at peace, in love and holding a consciousness of unity with ALL that is beyond words' power to describe or define. More and more, I dwell in that place of acceptance and appreciation for what Is. I like it very much.

Don't mind what happens. So simple. Breathing helps. Laughter helps. Remembering to trust helps.

Yes, I like it very much. I colour the walls of my home with this hue, this particular emanation. And even though it can sometimes look like something rather cold and uncaring, when I match my heartbeat to it, it feels very much like love, but a love of the most divine and unconditional sort.

I AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment