Thursday, October 21, 2010

Multi-Dimensionality

Perhaps you can feel it as I do.

Have you ever looked up to the clouds, as they moved slowly, grey-blue and yellow-white, and suddenly felt as if you were among them? Floating as they? Large and largely weightless as they?

One day, while I was in that wonderfully relaxed and dream-like state that comes over one several days into a vacation, I looked at a day lily and was suddenly within its cells. I was as orange as all of the other cells in the petal of the day lily. I held all of the characteristics of the other cells. It lasted only an instant, but the memory of it has stayed with me.

A similar experience came to me when I was driving the familiar route from Pennsylvania to southern Quebec. I decided to leave the interstate highway, with its four lanes and its distance from the surrounding landscape. I drove route 11 through the northernmost counties of upstate New York, just south of the Saint Lawrence River, heading roughly east toward Vermont. The day was blue, white and gold. Full winter surrounded me and the sunlight, though bright, was low. It was early enough in the season for autumn's golden grasses to still show through the fresh snow. The low sun set these grasses in a frame of golden light and I was steeped in this beauty as I drove the rural two-lane road, empty in front of my car. Suddenly, I was a snow flake swept by the light wind off of a tree branch and onto the small drifts below. I was a crow, winging black from bare branch to piney summit. I was the grasses, golden and alight as the short day waned. I became inseperable from the landscape which enclosed me. My consciousness vast and intimate. All was as much a part of me as I was a part of All. 

Did I simply imagine these things?

Does it matter? Or is our imagination another aspect of our consciousness?

After my brother died by suicide, I spoke with him, comforting him and assuring him that he was loved. Or did I imagine comforting him? Does it matter? I can assure you that the love was real. Does love only exist in this three dimensional reality, or is it beyond the supposed constraints of space and time?

I believe that we are multi-dimensional. I believe that the experiences I've shared with you in this post were multi-dimensional experiences. I am not only my body. I am not only my body's senses of sight, sound, taste, smell and touch. I am something vast and ineffable, something that cannot be grasped by our physical senses, and can only dimly be grasped by our imaginations. I am a consciousness capable of moving through time and space multi-dimensionally. And so are you.

So, I invite you to celebrate your imagination and your mind's wanderings. I invite you to pay attention to these and to take a little time here and there to sit and let your consciousness explore outward and inward. Turn off the television and the stereo, unless these be background accompaniment to your wanderings. You will 'go multi-dimensional' if you allow yourself to. You'll transport yourself back into your past, perhaps into a future or an alternate potential for the present. You might speak with a loved one who has left this earthly realm, or explore the intricacies of the cells of a pine needle or a rose petal.

You will do these things not so much with your mind, as with your consciousness, which makes use of the mind's abilities to label, catalogue and compare, but goes far beyond the mind in its delighted exploration of the vast mysteries that surround us. Consciousness can joyfully contemplate the paradox inherent in such wanderings. The mind cannot. If you struggle with paradox, you are in your mind. If you can accept paradox and move freely within it, you are experiencing consciousness unconstricted by mind's limitations.

I went far one day, away from our Earth and its human beings, its consciousness. Away from its solidity, its weight and mass. I went up and up and then off to the left and up some more. I passed through a region filled with light and dark struggling with each other in limitless ways - the fourth dimension is what I called it, but I can't be sure and the names really don't matter much. I then passed through a region filled with beings of light and of service to Earth. It was very pleasant there. There was a great deal of activity, but all of it was being undertaken with care and great love. I called this the fifth dimension. It seemed a bit too busy there for me, so I went further. Further out.

I came to a place where there was a great love that filled every thing and every moment. There was a great honouring of All to All in this region. The beings there moved very very slowly, imbuing each action with infinite care and consideration. There seemed to be barely any movement there at all - no activity to speak of. Yet I felt seen, recognized and lovingly greeted. I found that this region called to me and felt to me like Home. My third eye chakra hummed and felt heavy. I did not want to leave that place. I felt so settled there. I called it the sixth dimension. Yet again, I do not know if that is what it is and the words don't really matter.

Eventually, I realized that I had to pull myself out of there and come back, otherwise I would somehow remain in that peace and quiet and love beyond time's reckonings. I reluctantly pulled myself back throught the layers, through the regions, in increasing intensity of activity and movement until I was back in my chair, in my body. I felt incredibly calm. Unbelievably calm. I knew a great peace, and I have known it ever since.

I tell you of this journey to impress upon you the truth that we - we little human being selves - are in control of this multi-dimensionality. We choose when and where we will wander and how we will return to the smaller consciousness with which we are so familiar. There is no need for fear or trepidation, for we do this. It is not done to us.

Bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment