Monday, November 5, 2012

What Are We Here For?

I just received an email from a friend who is struggling to make sense of his life.

He rarely expresses himself so openly and when he does, I treasure it because it speaks of his trust in me, in our friendship.

Well, I answered his email straight away with as much wisdom, compassion and unconditional love as I could possibly put into an email. I would do more, but he shuns closer contact. This is a person who struggles to look into the mirror. This is a person who doesn't always like himself, much less love himself.

As part of the email message that I sent to him, I encouraged him to trust our friendship enough to lean on me from time to time. I asked, "What do you think I am here for?" And then I answered my own question: That is what I am here for.

And this is what I want to say in this post: My heart is filled with love and joy to be able to help someone who is feeling sad or confused about his life, or is maybe judging himself and seeing that he comes up short of his own estimation of what he should be. All I want to do in this world is to be that friend, to be that counsellor, to be that person. That is what I am here for.

My heart is so full these days. My heart's love and wisdom is what I am here for.

What are you here for?

I know you will come to an answer that fills your heart with gladness, peace and joy.

I know that we are here to change this world, to make it a more loving place, a place that holds warmth for every single man, woman and child. I know that this world is ours to create.

That is what we are here for, all of us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment