Monday, December 20, 2010

Thoughts of Christmas at the Winter Solstice, 2010

I've always been more drawn to the solstice as a pivotal point in time, rather than to Christmas or to the 'New Year' celebrations. When I consider the yearly orbit of the Earth around our Sun and the annual seasonal sequence brought through the regular variation of Earth's tilt relative to the Sun, the winter solstice is the pivot point of change. This year, more than ever, I feel the power of the winter solstice as a turning point for us, for Earth and for ALL. It feels as though we are on the brink of something truly momentous.

Yet, all around me are the sounds of Christmas hymns, carols and anthems. The Christmas narrative is a beautiful one, a story of light come to the world, and my love for, and gratitude to, Yeshua ben Joseph, the Christos, the bearer of light and of Christ consciousness is profound and passionate.

I am not a Christian, yet I serve with every fiber of my being, body, heart and soul, the exalted consciousness which was embodied by the one known as Christ. And so, Christmas is, for me, a celebration of great joy.

In celebrating the birth of the Christ child every year, Christians are actually celebrating the birth of their own light, their own divinity within them. It may be unrecognized, unnamed, uncalled. It may be hidden. Yet it is there, in each and every one of us; Christ consciousness is our potential.

What I see and hear in the Christmas narrative is a rapturous recognition of the divine in the world, of God in man and in all things, raising the potential in every human being for their divinity to shine forth. That is the real miracle of Christmas - replayed every year for me in the heartbreakingly beautiful hymns of the season. Behold the arrival of the Christ - the light and the love of God - in a child. Behold the birth of the Christos, the Bearer of Light, who tells us of our own kinship with God, with the light, with a consciousness that exceeds all limits placed on love.

That is why Christmas, so close to the winter solstice, resonates so richly for me. I use the songs of joy of the season as signposts on my way to the solstice. Behold! The light returns! What we have been, what we are in our truest selves, comes again into our consciousness, comes in the form of a person, here to show us the way forward. So many of the centuries old hymns are deeply felt calls to recognize the miracle of God in man, God incarnate, embodied, in the world. The passion expressed in these choral masterpieces, and in the soaring cathedrals wherein they are sung, is our own divinity incarnate in us, embodied by us.

We realize this divinity through our consciousness of it. We embody it uniquely, as we are unique individuals. This spirit of God in us is irrepressibly ascendant. We are the ALL becoming more and more conscious of itself through our consciousness. Behold the Light of the World; it is you; it is me; it is all that we are and all that we aspire to. I believe that this is the Second Coming, that we are the ones we have been waiting for.

This year the solstice stands like a doorway for me, one through which I have prepared myself to pass since before I was born. I suspect that this solstice means a great deal to many of us. And I say this to you as you approach the pivot point of change, "Safe journey through to your truth, your light, the Christ consciousness within you - safe journey through change and transformation, through All that you are and All that you have ever been, safe journey to the divinity that is at the core of you."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment