Monday, September 12, 2011

Tuning Your Frequency

People talk about grounding themselves and centering themselves. I remember a time when these concepts were really new and strange. Now just about everyone seems to have a sense of the value of centering ourselves and grounding our energy. I'm really glad about that because centering and grounding are wonderfully helpful ways to begin to be aware of our frequency state. We say that we feel 'off-center' or 'imbalanced' in our energy. It doesn't feel very good and that is our first clue that our frequency state is not necessarily where we would have it be, in terms of what it is 'tuned to' or where / how it is vibrating.

It's not easy to explain about frequency, but I'm going to try.

The other day, I was full of energy and quite joyful, but restless. There was a waxing moon and that might have had something to do with it. Things around my place have been going really well lately and that might have had something to do with it also. I had slept well and felt 'full of beans' as my mother used to say. Normally I don't pay much attention to drama going on around me. Sometimes there are conflicts and people are upset and I don't even notice because it isn't mine and I'm not interested. My frequency state just doesn't resonate (think of a vibrating guitar string) with the drama and so I barely notice it and pay no attention to it if I do notice it. But the other day, full of restless energy, I noticed a drama on a message board that I frequent online and I dove right into it with glee. It was meeting my frequency vibration very closely, although I wasn't angry or upset as some of the people posting onto the message board seemed to be. I was strongly drawn to that drama on that particular day because it met my frequency.

Most of the time, we are not aware of our frequency unless it begins to impact our ability to do the things that we want to do or feel that we have to do. If I am filled with a calm, expansive energy, a frequency of deep peace and love for all the world, perhaps after a long meditation session, and my husband comes into the house filled with restless energy and an emotion of frustration because he struggled with a faulty machine in his workshop for hours, we don't click at all and my frequency, beloved by me, becomes a problem in terms of my choosing to be fully present and able to 'hear' my husband's complaints and frustrations. My ears will hear regardless, especially if he raises his voice, but I won't be able to meet him where he is if I am in a frequency state so very different from his.

My goal, in tuning my frequency, is not to always be in the same frequency as my husband or the other people around me. Yet, I do choose to be aware of my frequency state and how it resonates with theirs. I'll give you another example. I spend time every weekend with my elderly mother at the assisted living facility where she lives. The time that we spend together is really important to her, and she doesn't respond easily to upsets or changes to our usual routine. Yesterday, I went to see her and as I parked my car and got out of it, I realized that one of my car tires was flat, or nearly so.  I didn't want this occurrence to impact my visit with my mother, but it had to be dealt with. So, I tuned my frequency to trust that all would be well and calm assurance that our visit would be almost exactly as it always is - lunch together and then two games of Scrabble. A couple of phone calls at the beginning of the visit took care of the problem and we were able to have our usual two games, although the visit ended a little bit later than it normally would have.

I could easily have slid into a frequency of nervous worry, lack of trust, anxiety and upset. That is a very different vibration of a very different guitar string than trust that all would be well and calm assurance that my mother's needs would be met. I made the decision consciously and just took a deep breath and tuned my frequency to calm assurance and trust.

We can, and do, adjust our frequency when we are faced with a big problem, a crisis. When a family member is suddenly very ill and we choose to be 'the strong one,' we tune our frequency to calm assurance, trust that all will be well, patience with less assured family members, etc. We do this quite consciously, knowing that it is a helpful energy to bring to the situation. So we center ourselves, reading our own energy and noticing how we are being in our bodies, in the moment, and then we ground our fears and anxieties down into the ground, releasing them as they do not serve us. We breathe deeply to calm our bodies and slow the beating of our hearts, and then we tune our frequency to one of trust and calm, even in the face of fearful situations of uncertainty. Breathing deeply helps us to maintain the frequency that we have chosen for ourselves.

Our frequency state impacts our emotional responses and our emotional responses impact our frequency state. When we consciously and decisively tune our frequency, we impact our emotional responses. When we do not, our emotional responses impact our frequency state. I can get up in the morning and say that I'm going to have a great day, but if things keep happening to upset my equilibrium, delay my plans or thwart my intentions, I may not have such a great day after all. My emotional responses might impact my frequency state so that I end up out of joy, out of peace, in strong resistance to the events of the day, angry because it always seems to happen to me, playing a victim role and deeply resonant to the frequency of resistance and opposition. Unless I can tune my frequency to acceptance and peace with what is, even when it doesn't conform to what I had planned to have it be, I will be upset and out of balance, off-center and in resistance to the world around me. If I can tune my frequency to joy even in the face of these events that have upset me, I will be in appreciation and acceptance, love and gratitude, joy and peace and my emotional responses will change accordingly.

So how do we do it? How do we tune our frequency? I liken it to flicking a light switch or tuning a car radio to a different station. We become conscious of our emotions, reactions, frequency. We choose differently. We center ourselves, ground the energy that needs to be released, without blame or shame, and then flick the switch to a different frequency, one we have known and enjoyed before. We don't have to be, for example, grateful for something specific. We know what gratitude feels like and we tune our frequency to that. We turn that radio dial until our frequency is more to our liking. As I did yesterday with my flat tire and my mother's needs, we tune to patience and trust, or compassion and love, or calm self-assurance.

It is a turning to. It is a conscious choosing of the vibration that we will emit. And yes, it impacts the people and events around us, like any other vibration does. Most of all though, it impacts us, and it does this immediately.

Try it. Try tuning your frequency to gratitude, or patient trust, or appreciation for all that surrounds you. I'm behind in my day's work now, having spent time writing this when I should have been doing five other things. I tune my frequency to trust that it will all work out well. I take a deep breath and get on with my day.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment